UNITE: Awareness programs, media campaigns and community involvement for 16 Days of Activism against gender based violence
|Jaffna, Kilinochchi, Mannar, Mullaithevu, Vavuniya
|Divisional Secretary Division
|All DS Divisions
|Grama Niladari Division
|25 Nov 2023 to 10 Dec 2023
16 Days of Activism against gender based violence is an international campaign initiated by UNiTE (the United Nations Secretary-General’s UNiTE to End Violence against Women Campaign) that starts on International day for the Elimination of Violence against Women (November 25) and runs until Human Rights day (December 10). During these 16 days, JSAC launched media and poster campaigns that were supported by government agents, district secretariats, and lecturers (particularly seeing men engagement in these spaces).
Initiatives during this time:
– Info session for 30 volunteers at Tellipalai Children’s Club
– Open forum including a stakeholder analysis, awareness program, and cultural performances in Kilinochchi and Jaffna
– Awareness walks in Punguduthivu South and West divisions
– Awareness programs in Mannar and Mullaithevu
– Student-run art competition & stage drama on the topic of: men engagement and gender equality in families
– Training session on the topic of “Gender-Based Violence and Reporting” for police officers from the Jaffna district Child and Women affairs unit
Every year the campaign chooses a new theme to focus on. In 2023, the theme was “UNITE! Invest to prevent violence against women and girls” particularly calling on governments, development actors, civil society, women’s organizations, young people, the private sector, and the media. JSAC, as a women and children’s organization, was able to successfully educate and raise awareness to prevent and ultimately end gender based violence involving our media network, various government actors, the community and youth.
To see more media coverage of this campaign see our Facebook.